Q & A with Eve Devon author of Heart of Steel



Q & A with Eve Devon author of Heart of Steel




How did you come up with the idea for this story?
It’s a bit of a strange one for a gal who loves all things romance, but I guess this is where I also admit that I’m a sucker for anything to do with great engineering and amazing design. I’ve always wanted to introduce steampunk elements into my writing and somehow feature The Great Exhibition of 1851, with all that fabulous design and innovation.

There was just one problem…I didn’t have experience writing historical!

So I asked if there were any other authors out there who wanted to write with me about a company who created secure locking devices to display a diamond like the Koh-I-Noor for The Great Exhibition. The result was getting to create a continuity of standalones with two fabulous authors. I loved the idea of not limiting ourselves – of getting to marry historical suspense with contemporary suspense, so one book is set in 1851 and the next two books in present-day.

The three of us wanted to write heart-pounding suspense that spanned time, so we created Steel Hawk - a company that rode the highs and lows of industry and adapted over the years to thrive in present-day too. A company of alpha-honorable heroes and spirited and strong heroines, set against a backdrop of high-tech security, feuding royals and missing diamonds.

What are your current projects?
I’m very blessed to be able to write in two different genres – romantic suspense and romcom. My current project is a romcom set in a quintessential English village about an eccentric Clock House owner who challenges a pair of newcomers to compete against each other to raise funds for a village fete. The person who raises the most money earns the right to buy The Clock House and turn it into a business. It’s a fete of the village, versus the fate of their hearts romcom that will be published by HarperCollins early next year.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I love writing about “feeling the fear and doing it anyway”. I think being courageous in life, believing in yourself and taking that leap of faith, is very important. In Heart of Steel, Honeysuckle Hawk is very aware she hasn’t really ever stuck at anything – she’s also aware that it’s her fear of failure that stops her. Will she have the courage to ‘stick’ when the going gets tough?

Does music play any type of role in your writing?
Alas, I’m one of those people who can’t write with music on. I always have a think about what my character’s music tastes might be…an awful lot of classic rock seems to creep in!! I think I even have Adam Steel wearing a faded Metallica t-shirt in one of his scenes.

What books have influenced your life most?
There are certain classics that will always hold a special place in my heart – I like to have a Dickens on the go around Christmas and submerge myself in atmosphere and colorful characters.

I’ll never forget devouring the first Harlequin my mum gave me and promptly demanding “more”. Nora Roberts made me want to write romance; Agatha Christie made me want to write suspense (so many of her characters’ motivations are actually really dark and twisty!).

Reading Ann Rule as a teenager gave me a thirst for understanding motive and Stephen King still has the ability to make me jump! Plus, his On Writing should be required reading for anyone who wants to write.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
I love Annie Crouch and Veronica Forand.

How can readers discover more about you and your work?
I love a good natter and I love to hear from readers. I have a contact sheet on my website: www.EveDevon.com or you can chat with me on twitter: @EveDevon or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EveDevonAuthor/

Heart of Steel (Steel Hawk, Book 2) by Eve Devon

Date of Publication: June 14, 2016

Blurb


Colleague, friend, lover…beautiful liar?
Steel Hawk, Book 2
Adam Steel is in crisis mode. A recent exposé claims a founder of Steel Hawk was actually The Raven, an infamous jewel thief. Amid the ensuing damage control, all eyes are on his ability to develop a prototype to secure and protect the royal Pasha Star diamond.
He's further blindsided when he learns his assistant, Honeysuckle Hawk, has a sordid past he never knew about. Proving he never really knew her, never should have trusted her, and definitely shouldn't start falling for her.
With her dirty laundry flapping in the media storm, Honeysuckle's first instinct is to run. Two things make her stay: Adam's insistence it's better to show the world a united front, and her heart's insistence by his side is where she belongs.
High stakes and long hours ignite passion…until the diamond is stolen and Adam's own prototype shows Honeysuckle is a thief. Dare he trust her to help him expose the real criminal—before the mastermind wreaks havoc on the royal family?
Warning: Contains an über-hot, alpha-geek who's good with his hands, a sassy reformed-rebel determined to prove she's not a flake, romantic castles, gorgeous jewels, sleek and sexy technology, heart-pounding suspense…oh, and nipple tassels!

Available From


About Eve Devon



Eve Devon writes sexy heroes, sassy heroines & happy ever afters...
Growing up in locations like Botswana and Venezuela gave Eve Devon a taste for adventure; her love for romances began when her mother shoved one into her hands in a desperate attempt to keep her quiet during TV coverage of the Wimbledon tennis finals!
When Eve wasn't consuming books by the bucketload, she could be found pretending to be a damsel in distress or running around solving mysteries and writing down her adventures. As a teenager, Eve wrote countless episodes of TV detective dramas so the hero and heroine would end up together every week. As an adult, still hooked on romance and mysteries, she worked in a library to conveniently continue consuming books by the bucketload, until realizing she was destined to write contemporary romance and romantic suspense herself.

Find Eve Devon Online

Hosted by:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Celebration w/Giveaway: Sexiest Couple Alive by M. Clarke

Virtual Tour w/Giveaway: Body Checking by Jami Davenport

Blog Tour w/Giveaway: The Change Up by Elley Arden